"The art of injectable fillers is in knowing how the filler will interact with the aesthetic balance of the entire face."
JUVÉDERM® Ultra and JUVÉDERM® Ultra Plus, offered at our Minneapolis-St. Paul-area practice, are gel dermal fillers made by Allergan, the makers of BOTOX® Cosmetic. Gel fillers are made of a colorless gel of hyaluronic acid, a material that is abundant in the body when you are young, and diminishes with age. With a simple treatment you can soften lines and restore full lips even as you continue to age.
Gel fillers are now the most popular dermal filler, and are most commonly used to re- store contour to the lips, to soften nasolabial folds and marionette lines, and even to augment cheeks. JUVÉDERM® Ultra is used for more superficial corrections and lasts 3-6 months on average. JUVÉDERM® Ultra Plus is more robust, and is injected more deeply, lasting 4-9 months. These are in-office procedures with minimal downtime.
JUVÉDERM® Ultra and JUVÉDERM® Ultra Plus
JUVÉDERM® Ultra is a soft, water-clear gel containing hyaluronic acid, a remarkable substance that attracts and holds onto water. In the body, hyaluronic acid is abundant in younger skin, and diminishes with age, which is very apparent in the lips and around the mouth. JUVÉDERM® Ultra is a smooth and soft gel material ideal for the lips and soft contours of the face, while JUVÉDERM® Ultra Plus is a thicker, more robust product used to treat deeper nasolabial folds and the marionette lines extending from the corners of the mouth to the chin, and even used in cheek-enhancement.
The real art to the injection of JUVÉDERM® Ultra and Ultra Plus is grounded in not overdoing any correction. At Facial Plastic Surgery in Edina, Minnesota, Dr. Szachowicz evaluates your entire face and takes the time to understand your Desires, before treatment. Often, to get the best outcome, subtle is the best plan. Dr. Szachowicz is a member of the elite National Education Faculty for Allergan and had been a part of the earliest clinical trials of JUVÉDERM®.
Dr. Szachowicz is a member of the National Education Faculty (NEF) for Allergan, a by-invitation -only group of select physician-trainers who represent only 1% of all doctors who inject Juvederm. As an member of the NEF, Dr. Szachowicz is a spokesper- son and investigator on Juvederm for Allergan and has adopted their high standards of education, for his practice.
Procedure for Injecting JUVÉDERM®
Injecting JUVÉDERM® is an in-office procedure that often gives instant correction to any area treated. There is usually enthusiasm and delight that such time-worn lines and creases can be so quickly corrected. JUVÉDERM® Ultra is the most commonly used treatment, restoring youthful fullness to the lips, nasolabial folds, and lines under the lower lip extending to the chin. JUVÉDERM® Ultra Plus is reserved for the correction of deep folds and grooves and is a mainstay for the enhancement of cheeks. Numbing cream, ice, and the option of a dental nerve block is available for your comfort.
- Both forms of JUVÉDERM® are pre-mixed with lidocaine, a numbing agent, for your comfort.
- The targeted area is corrected gradually as JUVÉDERM® is injected with a tiny needle into the wrinkle, fold, or lips.
- The result is immediately present, but some of the fullness will settle in over the next 24-48 hours.
- You can put on makeup and resume normal activities immediately after the procedure.
Candidates for JUVÉDERM®
JUVÉDERM® has a very high satisfaction-score when properly placed. During your initial consultation, Dr. Szachowicz will evaluate your concerns along with you, to develop your own treatment plan. JUVÉDERM® treatments are gaining in popularity for men as well as women, as it is a simple, quick, and gratifying procedure with minimal downtime. The most common areas for treatment are in:
- Softening the nasolabial lines (smile lines) extending from the nose to the corners of the mouth
- Adding fullness and restoring shape to the lips (restoring the cupid's bow)
- Smoothing out the marionette lines which form from the corners of the mouth to the chin
- Re-contouring the jaw-line by filling the depression or shadow that forms in front of the jowl
- Enhancing cheeks
- Filling the deep creases in the area near frowns
Understanding the Benefits of JUVÉDERM®
- JUVÉDERM® treatments are natural, soft and smooth.
- Treatments are highly individualized, and the results are immediate.
- The procedure is comfortable and quick.
- The JUVÉDERM® product is made from non-animal sources and the FDA does not require a skin-test prior to treatment.
- The treatment may be combined with other cosmetic procedures such as BOTOX® Cosmetic, Dysport®, Sculptra®, and other dermal fillers.
- JUVÉDERM® can treat multiple areas of the face at one appointment.
Risks of JUVÉDERM®
JUVÉDERM® is not approved for use in those under 18, or in women who are pregnant or breast-feeding. The most frequent adverse effects have to do with redness or bruising at the site of injection. Avoidance of fish and plant oil supplements and aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (Advil, Motrin, etc.) helps to minimize any bruising. Rare immune reactions and circulatory problems after injection are possible. All hyaluronic gel fillers can be dissolved (reversed) with an enzyme called hyaluronidase, for added safety.
Learn More about JUVÉDERM®
To learn why JUVÉDERM® is now one of the leading cosmetic treatments in the country and to see for yourself just how easy it is to erase and smooth lines and creases and restore lip-shape and volume, contact Dr. Szachowicz at Facial Plastic Surgery, in Edina, Minnesota. Patients from throughout the Minneapolis-St. Paul area come to us for JUVÉDERM® treatment.