Facial Plastic Surgery: Edward Szachowicz, MD
7373 France Ave. S Suite 508
Edina, MN 55435
Phone: (952) 835-5665
Monday – Friday: 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
“Volume in the cheek area contributes to the well-proportioned aesthetic harmony of the face.”
A youthful contour in the cheeks has a smooth double-reversed curve, extending outward over the cheekbone and then curving gently inward again. Loss of this contour in the middle of the face is a telltale sign of aging and can add a considerable look of age to the face. This loss in mid-facial volume can occur normally but is often accelerated after menopause, significant loss of weight, or severe illness. Sometimes strong cheekbones were not inherited.
Cheek implants are custom-designed to add three-dimensional volume to the cheeks and mid-face. Surgery to place cheek implants can be done by itself or in combination with other rejuvenating surgery such as facelift. The implants are placed through incisions in the mouth and are permanent, yet can be removed at any time. We offer cheek augmentation and cheek implant placement at our Edina plastic surgery practice serving the Minneapolis-St. Paul area.
Candidates for Cheek Implant Surgery
The best candidates for this surgery have lost volume in the mid-facial area. This can include those who:
- lack strong bony support or have lost bone due to aging or tooth-loss;
- have shrinkage (atrophy) of the fat-pad in the cheek caused by aging, weight-reduction surgery (bariatric surgery), or prolonged illness; and
- are considering a facelift and wish to have a more enduring correction.
Cheek implants provide a permanent correction in volume of the cheek and mid-face. The implants are made of solid surgical-grade silicone and are available in different sizes and shapes. Modern cheek implants are anatomically designed so they contour to your body precisely.
During your consultation, video-imaging is a useful tool to understand the benefits of cheek-augmentation. The three-quarter or “social” view is best to show the double curve of the cheek. The style, position, and size of the implant are then decided.
Dr. Edward Szachowicz
Your face can reflect the way you feel inside through a facelift, rhinoplasty, or another surgical procedure by Dr. Szachowicz.Meet Dr. Szachowicz
Procedure for Cheek Implants
The procedure is performed through the mouth, and a brief general anesthesia is used. The procedure is as follows:
- The incisions are made through the mouth, above the gum-line where the lining of the cheek is mobile.
- Tissues of the cheek are lifted off the bone, and a precise pocket is made to accommodate the implant.
- An antibiotic solution is used to bathe the implant and all surfaces of the tissues.
- The cheek implant is placed and held in position with one small bone-compatible screw. This screw will not interfere with future X-rays or MRI scans. The incision is closed over the implant using absorbable sutures.
Dr. Szachowicz prefers an antibiotic regimen used for ten days after the procedure, for all implants. Care must be taken with dental hygiene (soft tooth-brushing) after the procedure until healing is complete. No strenuous activity is recommended for two weeks.
Risks of Surgery for Cheek Implants
Infection, malposition of the implant, blood collecting in the cheek, and injury to a nerve (numbness) can occur. Complications occur infrequently.
Learn More About Surgery for Cheek Implants
To learn more about surgery for cheek implants, inquire about cheek augmentation at our Minneapolis-St. Paul-area office, or to schedule an appointment, request a complimentary consultation online or call (952) 835-5665 today. Our Facial Plastic Surgery office is in Edina, Minnesota.