Facial Plastic Surgery: Edward Szachowicz, MD
7373 France Ave. S Suite 508
Edina, MN 55435
Phone: (952) 835-5665
Monday – Friday: 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
“Think of surgery as artwork; not all artists are the same.”
While facial aging is a slow and steady process that occurs over time, you know when you are ready to do something about it. These signs of aging are familiar—the skin loses its elasticity and begins to sag, the facial bones lose volume, the underlying layer of fat in the face changes, and the muscles in the neck become more prominent. Double board-certified facial plastic surgeon Dr. Edward Szachowicz is an artist and experienced surgical specialist who can correct or soften these signs of aging with facelift surgery in Edina, Minnesota.
Facelift PatientThis 61 y/o professional woman, has a non-stop career. She intended to make an impact for years to come. So she made time for a rejuvenating face lift with the stragetic placement of some of her own fat to the face.
What Is a Facelift?
A facelift is a cosmetic surgery procedure that rejuvenates the lower 2/3 of the face by:
- Raising the sagging muscles of the face
- Repositioning and recontouring the underlying fatty tissues
- Tightening and supporting the neck muscles
- Removing excess lax skin of the face and neck
At Facial Plastic Surgery, Dr. Szachowicz has made a career of mastering the artistry and surgical craft of facelifts by simply understanding the uniqueness of each person’s face and applying surgical techniques with appropriate variations and subtlety.
Candidates for Facelift Surgery
Women, and an increasing number of men, most commonly consider facelift surgery when the first signs of facial aging begin to show: from the late 40s for women to the mid-50s for men. However, patients who are in good health can have a facelift well into their 80s. The ideal timing follows a strategy of maintaining a youthful appearance, rather than losing it and then trying to recapture it.
“The ideal timing of facelift surgery is determined by how you look, not by your specific age.”
During your consultation, Dr. Szachowicz will be evaluating several factors that are important for all candidates for a facelift:
- Good skin quality (elasticity)
- Overall volume of facial fat (not too full, nor very thin)
- Strong facial bone structure
- Contour of the neck (long & thin or short & full).
Dr. Szachowicz examines the nuances of the face, which become key to achieving consistent, high-quality results. Most often, he combines the facelift with other rejuvenating procedures such as brow lift, eyelid surgery, and chin augmentation. He also uses fat transfer to restore facial volume.
Facelift by an Artist
The great sculptors of history – like Michelangelo – took years to master their craft through the appreciation of natural beauty and persistent attention to detail. The surgeon’s attention to detail is important in facelift surgery in order to minimize any telltale signs of surgery.
Modern facelift surgery has progressed from “stretch and pull” to a more natural “lift and fill” procedure. Dr. Szachowicz maintains the following goals for all of his facelift patients:
- An artistic, high-quality, consistent result
- A natural appearance (not stretched or pulled)
- Long-lasting outcomes
- Minimal complications
Dr. Edward Szachowicz
Your face can reflect the way you feel inside through a facelift, rhinoplasty, or another surgical procedure by Dr. Szachowicz.Meet Dr. Szachowicz
The Facelift Procedure
Dr. Szachowicz performs the facelift procedure in a same-day surgical center with either general anesthesia or IV sedation. Key steps of the facelift are:
- Placing the incisions: Preserving the existing hairline is key to a natural result. Whenever possible, Dr. Szachowicz plans his incisions to hide them within the natural curvatures of the ear. The front part of the incision follows the shape of the ear and runs behind the prominence in front of the ear canal, called the tragus. Behind the ear, the incision is tucked into the crease of the ear and then winds along the hairline at the back of the head. This technique allows for the maximum removal of excess lax skin of the neck, without removing hair.
- Tightening facial tissues: The technique Dr. Szachowicz performs is actually a “facelift under a facelift.” By tightening the deeper fibrous and muscular layers under the fat, he is able to re-suspend the facial fat and achieve better muscle tone in the face without distortion. This this technique restores the youthful understructure of the face prior to re-draping the overlying skin, resulting in less pull being placed on the skin.
- Closing the incisions: Paying particular attention to the delicate closure around the ears and in the hairline is time well spent, as these are the finer details that make a big difference in the overall quality of a facelift. Dr. Szachowicz often spends as much time on closure of the skin as he does on the deeper structures, just to maximize heal and make residual scars look the best they can.
- Dressings and aftercare: Small drains are placed behind the ears to wick away any fluid after the surgery, and a gentle compression dressing is placed overnight. Arnica montana (a homeopathic herb) is used before and after the surgery to decrease bruising and swelling. Red diode light therapy and ultrasound are used after surgery to augment the healing process. In addition, Fraxel® laser resurfacing is done on the facelift incisions to further improve the healing results.
Recovery After Facelift Surgery
The recovery period is an important time to recuperate and heal. Frequent visits to the surgical office ensure that healing progresses rapidly. All sutures are removed by 10 days, and most people return to regular activities within 10 days to 2 weeks. Every effort is made to speed healing, but not at the expense of the long-term quality of the result. Homeopathic arnica montana pellets and gel are supplied to optimize healing.
Minimal surgery and short-scar facelift procedures may decrease the time needed for recovery, but often the results don’t last as long. As with any artistic pursuit, an enduring outcome is the goal.
For additional details about preparation for surgery, the recovery timetable, and more, review the Facelift FAQ page.
Learn More About Facelift Surgery
If you want more information about advanced facial rejuvenation surgery, request a complimentary consultation with Dr. Szachowicz using our online form or call our office in Edina, Minnesota, at (952) 835-5665 for an appointment. We are proud to offer facelift surgery for women and men throughout the Greater Minneapolis-St. Paul area.