"Mastery of injectables begins with artistry and never ends..."
Restylane® has the status of being the first gel filler to be approved by the FDA. In 2004, people embraced a dermal filler that could soften and smooth the lines and creases on the face in a better and in a more long-lasting way than “collagen” treatments of the past.
Restylane® and its more robust companion product, Perlane®, are offered at our Minneapolis-St. Paul-area practice. These dermal fillers are made of a hyaluronic acid gel (HA gel), a material that is abundant in the body when you are young, and diminishes with age.
Restylane® is the most familiar gel filler in the world, and has graced many famous faces. Both Restylane® and Perlane® rejuvenate the face by replacing the volume lost in the lips and cheeks. They fill and soften lines and creases that form with age.
Restylane® is used for more superficial corrections and lasts 3-6 months. Perlane® is made for deeper injection in folds and grooves, and for augmenting cheeks, and it lasts 4-9 months. Both products contain lidocaine, an anesthetic, for comfort, and give you a near immediate correction.
Restylane® and Perlane® are done in-office, with minimal downtime. Come see why people in over 65 countries worldwide have benefited from more than 10 million treatments.
Restylane® and Perlane®
Restylane® is a soft, water-clear gel containing hyaluronic acid, which attracts and holds onto water after it is injected under the skin. In youth, there is an abundant layer of hyaluronic acid in the skin and lips, which diminishes with age. The hyaluronic acid in all gel fillers is stabilized to allows the gel to persist over time. Restylane® is soft and used for almost all superficial correction of lines, creases and lips. Perlane® is a thicker, more robust product used for deeper injection in the nasolabial folds, in marionette lines from the corners of the mouth extending to the chin, and for augmenting cheeks.
Dr. Szachowicz at Facial Plastic Surgery in Edina, Minnesota has extensive experience with Restylane® and Perlane®. His office was featured in the news as Restylane® was first introduced into the Twin Cities. An artful correction restores the features rather than emphasizing them.
Procedure for Restylane® and Perlane®
Injections of Restylane® and Perlane® are in-office procedures that give an instant correction to any area treated. Facial lines are filled, contours are restored and even some of the most stubborn shadowy areas can be treated. Restylane® is the most common choice for facial filling. Perlane® is reserved for deeper folds and grooves and enhancements of cheeks. For your comfort, both Restylane® and Perlane® contain an anesthetic, lidocaine®. Topical numbing cream, ice, and the option of a dental nerve block is available for your comfort.
- The targeted area is gradually corrected using a tiny needle to inject into the wrinkle, fold or lips.
- The correction is immediate, although the final result is most apparent after 24-48 hours.
- You can put on makeup right away, and may resume normal activities immediately after the procedure.
Candidates for Restylane® and Perlane®
Restylane® and Perlane® have been used since 2004, and have a high rate of satisfaction when properly placed. During your initial consultation, Dr. Szachowicz will evaluate your concerns and along with you develop your own treatment plan. Restylane® and Perlane® are enjoyed by both men and women, as it is a simple, quick, and gratifying procedure with minimal downtime. The most common areas for treatment are:
- Softening the nasolabial lines (or smile-lines) extending from the nose to the corners of the mouth
- Adding fullness and restoring shape to the lips (restoring the cupid's bow)
- Smoothing out the marionette lines which form from the corners of the mouth to the chin
- Re-contouring the jaw-line by filling the depression or shadow that forms in front of the jowl
- Enhancing the cheek
- Filling the deep creases in the frown area
Understanding the Benefits of Restylane® and Perlane® Treatments
- Restylane® and Perlane® treatments are natural, soft and smooth.
- Treatments are highly individualized, and the results are immediate.
- The procedure is comfortable and quick.
- The Restylane® and Perlane® products are made from non-animal sources, and the FDA does not require a skin-test prior to treatment.
- May be combined with other cosmetic procedures such as BOTOX® Cosmetic or Dysport®, Sculptra®, and other dermal fillers.
- Can treat multiple areas of the face at one appointment.
Risks of Restylane® and Perlane®
Restylane® and Perlane® are not approved for those under 21, or in women who are pregnant or breast feeding. The most frequent adverse effects have to do with redness or bruising at the site of injection. Avoidance of fish and plant oil supplements and aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (Advil, Motrin, etc.) helps to minimize any bruising. Rare immune reactions and circulatory problems after injection are possible. All hyaluronic gel fillers can be dissolved (reversed) with an enzyme called hyaluronidase, for added safety.
Learn More about Restylane® and Perlane®
To learn why we offer Restylane® and Perlane® at our Minneapolis-St. Paul-area practice - some of the leading cosmetic treatments in the country today - and to see for yourself just how easy it is to erase and smooth lines and creases and restore shape and volume in the lips, contact Dr. Szachowicz at Facial Plastic Surgery in Edina, Minnesota.